Saturday, June 16, 2012

MY DAUGHTER, CARLEIGH, WILL JOIN ME IN UGANDA!!

Carleigh has an adventurous spirit just like her mama!! She LOVED spending the night with her girlfriends when she was a little girl. She made friends with nearly EVERYONE she met in elementary, middle and high school. So it really didn't surprise John and me when, at 15, she came to us exclaiming that she wanted to be an exchange student her junior year and just needed to complete the paperwork. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Even though I was excited for her, I couldn't imagine living without her for one whole year. But, she went to Brazil and had an incredible experience and returned to the US more determined to live a life full of adventure. That love of adventure has taken her many places since then!

I am so very thrilled to say that Carleigh is going to join the group from PED traveling to Uganda for mission work!!! How cool is that?  I'll be in Uganda for one month (June 18-July 15) and Carleigh will come during the second half of my trip. In 2004, when I went to Guatemala for the first time, Derek and I went together with the First Presbyterian youth group. The following year, Carleigh and I went together. There was something quite humbling, yet exhilarating, when you witness your children experiencing life away from home in a foreign country.

Life is short and while I'm still healthy and ABLE,  I wanted to share my passion for Uganda with my daughter!!! I want her to see Glory Primary School that now houses 220 students, meet my precious GLORIA, Peter, and Anthony, as well as our sponsored family, Nakasi Justine and her grandchildren, Anna,  Marvin and Ibrahim. This past year, we have  become involved with a child-led family that even I have not met as yet---James, Clovis, Enid, Silvia, and Derrick.  I am just overjoyed to make them a part of our life!! It will be so much fun having Carleigh by my side!!




No comments: